This year is all about FOCUS.
Specifically, I resolve to focus on making this blog and my healthy lifestyle priorities.
I’m my own worst critic. I always feel that I could be doing more and reaching higher. While perfectionism gets a bad rap (my opinion: because non-perfectionists think that it makes them look bad), this insatiable desire to do everything and do it well has always worked to my advantage. With regard to my healthy lifestyle, this self-criticism (and self-awareness) keeps me on track; when I feel myself slipping back into old habits, I’m the first person who notices and quickly makes necessary adjustments.
Feeling in need of some adjustments, I did the following 10 things today to get refocused on my health in 2016:
- Slept in – I don’t even have kids yet, and this never happens.
- Started off my morning with Shakeology – Lately, I’ve been less interested in my morning shake than usual. Normally, I’m so excited to wake up just so I can drink it! In my opinion, this product is too expensive to drink if I’m not totally into it. Today I decided to try to get out of this funk and drink a shake, and I think I fell in love with it all over again. Also, earlier this week, I changed my order to another flavor, which I fully intend will help! Variety is the spice of life, right?
- Committed to going back to tracking what I eat in my Weight Watchers app – I attribute my 50-pound weight loss in 2012 to this tool and program. It gives me an understanding of the caloric impact on my body of each item I eat, and it holds me accountable.
- Met up with a friend for a run – I manage the title sponsorship for the Augusta University Half Marathon and 10K, so I started a training group after Thanksgiving. The plan gave us the week off over Christmas but not this past week. We got back on track by doing one of this week’s scheduled four-mile runs. There’s nothing like some good hills on your first day back!
- Bought two running belts, one that just carries my phone and keys and one that’s a water belt – My friend let me try out her SPIbelt today while she wore her water belt, so, after our run, I decided to go to Academy Sports and buy both! I only planned to buy a SPIbelt. However, Academy Sports had the water belt she recommended in purple, so I just HAD to!
- Spent time choosing a healthy lunch versus what was just convenient and tasted good – This may have involved 1.) searching the restaurant name in my Weight Watchers app before I walked in; and 2.) staring at the menu board for a few minutes while I made my final decision, but the feeling of having made a healthy choice made it worth it.
- Foam rolled and soaked in the bathtub with muscle-relief bath salt – Nothing feels better post-run!
- Spent some time on the phone with Team Beachbody to look into having one of my 21 Day Fix DVDs replaced – This was incredibly frustrating, so I’ll probably end up ordering a new kit or joining Beachbody On Demand. While group exercise is what keeps me accountable and motivated with my fitness, it’s great to have an at-home option.
- Bought some additional hand weights to use for said program
- Made my grocery list so I can go back to eating a balanced diet and practicing strict portion control starting Monday
How did you start 2016?