The only thing that’s better than a warm cup of chili on a chilly fall afternoon is the kind that is lower in fat and sodium content and tastes just as good as the original version.
|Original Beef Chili||Tailgate Turkey Chili|
|Beef||ground turkey, 93 percent lean/3 percent fat|
|Diced tomatoes, black beans and corn||No salt added/reduced sodium diced tomatoes, black beans and corn|
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93 percent lean/7 percent fat
- 2-14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1-15.5 oz. can light red kidney beans
- 1-15.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans
- 1-15.25 oz. can reduced-sodium black beans
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- For a savory chili: Add a can of no-salt-added corn, one diced onion and/or scallions, one diced bell pepper, minced fresh garlic or garlic powder to taste and garnish with a dollop of nonfat plain Greek yogurt and shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese.
- For a sweet chili: Add cinnamon to taste.
- Brown the turkey mixture in a large nonstick pan.
- While the turkey is cooking, put the tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cayenne pepper and ground pepper in the crock pot, and set it on low.
- After the turkey is browned, add it to the crock pot until it reaches desired taste and consistency.
*I recommend letting it simmer in the crock pot during the day or overnight.